Written by Ben
This pie recipe comes from the book “Against all grain”.
I made this dessert for Rae’s birthday since she cannot eat sugar and flour.
At first I was a little bit skeptical and was afraid of the huge amount of coconut milk in the curd and the whipped cream but I have to admit it taste good even if it is a paleo pie or not.
Honey graham piecrust (9 inch piecrust):
– 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
– 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut flour
– 1/4 tsp sea salt
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
– 1/4 cup honey
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
– Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
– Place the wet ingredient in a boil and beat with a stand or hand mixer.
– Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
– Press the dough into a 9 inch pie pan.
– Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit over the bottom of the crust and fill with pie weight.
– Bake for 15 mins. Cool completely.
Banana cream pie:
– 2 ripe bananas, sliced
– Dark chocolate shaving (optional)
– 4 tsp warm water
– 2 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
– 2 cups coconut mik
– 5 large egg yolks
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
– 2 tbsp coconut milk
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 3 tbsp honey
– Pour the water in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let sit for 10 mins to soften.
– Place the coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
– Place the egg yolks and honey in a bowl, whisk to combine, then quickly add half of the hot milk, whisking constantly to temper the eggs.
– Pour the mixture into a saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 4-5 mins, or until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. It shouldn’t boil.
– Add the gelatin mixture and whisk until dissolved.
– Pour the custard into a glass or metal boil and stir in the vanilla extract. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
– Make the ganache. Melt all the ingredient in a double boiler or a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Spread on the bottom of the cooled piecrust. Let cool for 10 mins.
– Place a layer of sliced bananas over the chocolate.
– Pour the cooled custard over the bananas. Place the pie in the fridge to chill until set, about 6 hours.
Coconut milk whipped cream:
– around 7 oz coconut milk, refrigerated at least for 24 hours.
– 2 tsp honey, optional
– Place a glass or metal bowl and beaters in the freezer to chill for 30 mins.
– Scoop of the coconut cream that has risen to the top and place in the chilled bowl. Save the thinner coconut water for other uses.
– Beat the cream on high until peaks form. Drizzle in honey with the beaters running and mix until incorporated.